ICAAD’s work is focused on resisting injustice and building equity. We work with local communities and advocates to change systems and challenge the root causes of injustice.
A donation to ICAAD means a contribution to building a more equitable future. With your help, we can double our impact on behalf of marginalized communities globally. Donations will be matched 100% until the matching funds are exhausted. Use code EQUITY to make sure your donation is matched.
60%-80% of women and girls in the Pacific Island Countries (PICs) have faced physical or sexual violence based on prevalence studies conducted by U.N. Population Fund (UNFPA). Gender Based Violence (GBV) impacts all aspects of life, from health and safety to economics and education of over 6,000,000 women.
ICAAD has been working since 2013 to bring change to the region by conducting training for judges, lawyers, and NGOs in the region, and using innovative technology that measures and monitors accountability for legislative and judicial policy reform.
ICAAD and its partners are taking a holistic approach and building cross-sectoral partnerships to uproot gender inequality within the judicial and healthcare systems. These interventions focus on strengthening the rule of law and are identified with the assistance of local stakeholders including local women’s rights NGOs, UN Agencies, Regional Bodies, and local governments.
CALL TO ACTION
Your donation will support the following initiatives in the coming year:
- Development of the first ever legal research database and data dashboard in the region capable of analyzing and tracking institutionalized discrimination against women and girls in the judicial system.
- Development of Train the Trainer Programs for stakeholders in Pacific Island Countries to multiply the impact of education and reform efforts on local, regional and national levels.
Your support has already resulted in:
- The report, A Comparative Legal Review of the Impact of Gender Stereotyping on Judicial Decisions in Violence Against Women Cases Across the Pacific Island Region
- A anti-sexual harassment train the trainers program for local NGOs to train private businesses and government.
- A handbook on gender bias for GBV in the Pacific for judges and legal professionals, developed in conjunction with law firm Clifford Chance (UK)
- 4 rule of law trainings conducted for over 300 judges and lawyers in the Pacific
- The publication of a groundbreaking report "An Analysis of Judicial Sentencing Practices in Sexual & Gender-Based Violence Cases in the Pacific Island Region" (Read at: https://icaad.ngo/ReportGenderBiasPICs)
- 12 strategic assessments conducted on Pacific Island Countries analyzing gender equality
- 3,000 judicial decisions in 10 countries analyzed for how gender stereotypes and cultural norms affect sentencing
- 50+ local, national, regional, and international stakeholders conferenced with during field-work in Fiji
- 200+ attorneys spent 8,000+ hours on research & analysis
- $4M+ in pro bono hours donated by law firms
Help create a more safe, just and equitable world - donate to ICAAD today!
Rule of Law: Clifford Chance, Manatt Phelps & Phillips LLP, DLA Piper LLP, University of the South Pacific
For more information: https://icaad.ngo/accountability-gender-based-violence/
Sign-up to follow our progress: https://icaad.ngo/sign-up-for-newsletter/
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to speak with a Board Member directly about ICAAD’s work and how you can get involved.