Each year, over 1 million people in India die prematurely from diseases related to indoor air pollution from traditional cookstoves.
Millions of women and children are each inhaling the equivalent of 40 cigarettes per day from the heavy smoke of their traditional cookstoves, leading to onset of diseases such as pneumonia, stroke, heart and respiratory diseases, and cancer!
- In addition, these cookstoves have a massive impact on the environment:
- Over 10 million trees are being burnt for cooking
- Over 4 million tons of CO2 are released into the atmosphere
These people, mostly situated in rural India, continue to use traditional cookstoves (burning wood or charcoal) since wood and charcoal are the only viable fuel options for them. LPG, electric power, or solar energy are either too expensive or inaccessible.
Prakti is solving this problem by deploying 10x better cookstoves.
We'll be deploying our latest product called Prakti Air that fits into existing stove bodies. It functions by blowing air at the optimum pressure and velocity into an oxygen-deprived part of the fire, resulting in a dramatic decrease in emissions and an increase in fuel efficiency. There are many benefits including:
- 90% reduction in toxic gasses
- 60% lesser consumption of wood
- 3X faster cooking
Prakti Air allows families to keep their traditional cookstoves, which have been passed down through generations. Now, they can preserve their beautiful culture, their cuisine, and methods of cooking. User adoption is significantly higher, as a result.
To-date, Prakti technology has already:
- Saved 460,000 trees from being cut down
- Prevented 180,000 tons of CO2 being released into the atmosphere.
Prakti (w/ support from Baru Sahib) needs your help to jump-start implementations in India (starting with villages in Punjab, Orissa or Himachal Pradesh)
Our immediate need is to raise at least $30,000 so that we can expand the pilot in Q4/Q1.
We will use the funds raised to:
- Manufacture ~250 Prakti Air stoves
- Hire a local team of engineers to implement and train villagers
- Partner & train local distributors
- Fund R&D to further reduce cost
Successful implementation of this pilot will not only improve the lives of villagers in the pilot but also will enable us to collect data and learnings so that we can expand to the rest of India.
This will put us on the path to implementing ~10,000 cookstoves per month across all of India, by the end of 2023 at an affordable retail cost of below $25!
Make a difference with Prakti. Give today!
Recent Project Success
In June '22 we conducted a pilot in Khakli village, near Baru Sahib campus in Himachal Pradesh, India. We implemeted 8 Prakti Air stoves and not only saw significant reduction in air quality and wood consumption, but also received rave reviews from the villagers. See this video for some of the testimonials
Do you know anyone who could support us?
In addition to donating money, we also appreciate help connecting us with the right people:
- Distributors who have a presence in rural India to help us reach more people in need
- CSR professionals who could help us receive grants to scale the project.
Drop us a line at [email protected].
Make today count. Give generously and enable Prakti to protect many more lives.