SALDEF (www.saldef.org) and Sikh Health Network (www.sikhhealth.net) have partnered this year to enable young Sikh Health Ambassadors to start Health & Wellness Clinics at their local Gurdwaras. SALDEF's SikhLEAD 2023 Summer Internship Program candidates will be able to organize, run, and sustain 6 Health & Wellness Clinics around the Nation in MA, CT, VA, CA and FL by collaborating with the Sikh Health Network - a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in CA since 2019. These clinics will provide free medical services by Volunteer medical professionals which includes physicians, nurses, dentists etc. Over the past year, SHN has helped start 3 Gurdwara clinics in California with 100+ volunteers and 2000+ patient encounters.
Your donation will primarily help with training the SikhLEAD Health Ambassadors to plan and facilitate the Health and Wellness Clinics. Additionally, the funding will be utilized to obtain the necessary equipment required for these clinics such as Electronic Medical Record, Telehealth platform, training resources and medical supplies.
Seva and langar are integral parts to the Sikh identity, and through this SEVA Clinics Project, Sikh Health Ambassadors will be able to help address the numerous health challenges that our community faces.
This project will have a direct impact on hundreds of families through the Health Clinics and will serve as an important stepping stone in improving community health and health equity. Each Gurdwara clinic will need $3,000 to support a one-year clinic operation ($1500 upfront cost and $1500 for recurring cost for replenishing the Clinic supplies).
Where the funds are going:
1. Technology costs: This includes the Electronic Medical Record system for secure storage of patient data and maintenance of encrypted backup data. This also includes hosting costs for the Telehealth platform, which will make it FREE for patients and physicians.
2. Clinic Materials: This includes all material costs that are needed for the clinics to operate (Blood pressure monitors, glucose strips, weight scales, sanitization, tables, etc…)
3. Education Materials: This includes anything related to the education of the Sangat and training of the Sikh Health Ambassadors. This includes printed flyers, posters, training videos, information cards for patients, etc.
SHN Resource Description:
1. Technology: SHN provides a HIPAA-compliant, SaaS/Cloud-hosted, secure Electronic Medical Record (EMR) management system for managing patient data securely and conveniently. They also provide a Telehealth Management System that allows unlimited users on the system.
2. Access via Telehealth to a Volunteer Physician Network: SHN provides a secure, ease-to-use Telehealth platform for virtual consultations with registered physicians and specialists - anywhere in the world - who wish to do seva.
3. Liability Protection: SHN provides blanket liability coverage for any healthcare provider that registers and uses their system to provide advice/care at any of our enabled locations
4. Convenience: SHN provides tools, procedures, guidelines and materials to make it easy for sangat patients, volunteers/sevadars and the Gurdwara Management to set up and manage this clinic - professionally and aligned with Sikh principles / maryada.